This is from the 1928 Kalibra. "My mother was a southmore this year."
History of DeKalb Schools In the primeval woods, just west of were the DeKalb post-office now stands there was formerly a one-room, log school-building, fourteen by fourteen, unfinished without and within. If one had peeked into the school-room "This was two post-offices ago it probably was were Micro Solutions is now." through one of the small dim windows and had watched the activities of the day, he would have seen a small group of pupils sitting on the rough, split-log, backless benches that were arranged around the walls. The pupils were studying there "readin' and ritin' and ‘rithmetic'". If the day was cold a fire was roaring in the stove at the center of the room and the pupils probably were huddling near. This "institute of higher 'larnin'" might have been view- ed in DeKalb before the days of rail- roads in this part of the country--to be exact seventy-eight years ago. "Now 150 years ago." In 1850 there were, in the village, only twenty-nine people. Two years later the Chicago and North Western Railroad was built through the village of Buena Vista, the village that has since developed into the thriving city of DeKalb. The second school-house erected in this vicinity was first used in 1853. The building was a rough, frame structure; but this new school gave evidence of the growth of the village, for its dimen- sions were considerably larger than those of the first school. It measured twenty-one by forty-two feet. The lot on which this building was located is the present site of the Congregational church. The cost of the site was $15. A number of dances were held in the new school and the proceeds were used to defray building expenses. This school-room was also used as the sole religious meeting-house of the village, for no denominational church had been built. Religious services were held only when an itinerant minister came through this way for there was no resi- dent preacher here at this time. In 1858 the school was sold to George Wood and others for a Congregational church. The third school-house was built on the corner east of the present Catholic church. This building also evidenced the rapid growth of the community, for the school boasted two rooms. The erection of this two-room, frame build- ing may well be viewed as the end of the first big educational step made by the village.     

The first High school must have been in the right side of  this building before it was added to.

The next step in building was a tre- mendous one. A two-story brick build- ing was constructed diagonally across the street from the Baptist church, at the corner of Third and Prospect Streets. This fine four-room structure was completed in 1861. A high-school course was instituted at about this time, and the first high- school class was graduated in 1874, over a half century ago. "Now well over a century." The class consisted of but four students, all of whom were girls. There was a great deal of educational activity, at this time, in the village. One of the grades was housed in the Advent church which was situated at the corner of South Fourth and Prospect Streets. Another grade school was built on North Fifth Street. At present this building is used by the DeKalb County Soil Improvement Association for its offices. "This maybe were the Farm Bureau was at, for you that haven't been around its moved, four years ago." Still another grade school was built on East Lincoln Highway were There is now a playground. Later, the three ward schools were built and put into use. In 1877 DeKalb was incorporated as a city and Harvey Allen was elected its first mayor. "The first person to send me an e-mail about our web page was "Elaine Jennifer O'Hara" johara@silcon.com from the class of 1970 she was an Allen. I wonder if they were related." In the year 1902 the high-school building burned down; the loss of this unit of the educational system neces- sitated the erection of the older section of the present high-school building. After the burning of the old school, the pupils continued their work in the Nor- mal School, which was opened to them through the courtesy of President John W. Cook. The first unit of our present high- school was ready for occupancy on February 12, 1905. In the new location, through the foresight of Professor Giles and Board of Education, there was a campus of sufficient size to give the building a proper setting, to insure room for any additions to the building that might become necessary, and to provide room for athletic activities. In 1907 there were enrolled in the D.T.H. S. 285 students; at that time the faculty numbered only fourteen teachers in- cluding the principal, who also taught. Year by year the enrollment increas- ed until in 1923, a $265,000 addition was made to the building, giving us our present educational facilities.

 Athletic facilities have made corresponding im- provements, the fall of present school year marking the realization and com- pletion of one of DeKalb's fondest hopes, a football and track stadium that ranks with the best of those of the other Conference schools. At the present time the enrollment of the D. T. H. S. is 666 and there are thirty faculty members under the direc- tion of the principal, R. G. Beals. Since the organization of the first high-school in DeKalb only four principals have been in charge of the school. Mr. Beals predecessors were C. E. Skinner F. M. Giles, and C. W. Whitten. Thus, in slightly more than seventy- five years, the educational facilities of the city of DeKalb have developed from a rough one-room school-house ac- commodating only a small handful of pupils, to the present-day status of several elementary schools and a large high-school under whose influence hun- dreds of students come each year -- a most remarkable achievement. E. B.

     This year we had the unique experience of turning a beautiful new building into the "home" of DeKalb Senior High School. In September we all walked through the sparkling glass doors and entered a place that was as strange and unfamiliar to the Seniors as it was to the Sophomores. It contained only the basic essentials necessary to a school: hallways, classrooms, books, desk, a gym an auditorium. a library and an area called a Commons. Throughout  the year we worked to fill these halls and rooms with life, traditions, memories, and all the things that really make a school. In June, as we departed through the same, although slightly weathered, glass doors, we left behind us, not only a building, but a school.  From Peggy Allen in the 1970 year book.       

BACK TO HOME PAGE